Otherwise known as "Show me Tell me" questions
During your driving test you will be asked a couple of safety check questions. In responding to those you will be expected to demonstrate full knowledge of your car controls as well as a sound knowledge of various checks to be made under the bonnet of the car.
Don't worry you are not been asked to be a mechanic, you are asked to have an understanding of basic checks that can be made to ensure the car is safe to drive.
Not answering the questions properly would lead to a minor fault being awarded. So it does male sense to know them. Potentially however you could be awarded a serious fault if loosing control of your car when asked to perform a specific task.
You will be asked 2 questions of the following list, and as from the 4th December 2017, a "tell me" question will be done prior to your drive at the test centre, whilst the "show me" question will be done on the move.
"SHOW ME QUESTIONS"
"SHOW ME QUESTIONS"
* When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen.
* When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you would wash and clean the front windscreen.
* When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you would switch on your dipped headlights,
* When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you would set the rear demister.
* When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you would operate the horn.
* When it is safe to do so, can you show me how you would demist the front windscreen.
* When it is safe can you show me how you would open and close the side window
"TELL ME QUESTIONS"
* Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicles should not pull to one side
* Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked
Manufacturer's guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don't forget spare tyre and remember to refit valve caps.
* Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash
The head restraint should be adjusted so that the rigid par of the head restraint is at least as high as the eyes or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. Note: Some restraint might not be adjustable
* Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road
No cuts and bulges, 1.6 mm of tread depth across the central 3/4 of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference
* Tell me how you would check that the headlights and tail lights are working(no need to exit the vehicle)
Operate switch(turn ignition if necessary), then walk around vehicle. (As it is a Tell me question, there is no need to physically check the lights)
* Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti lock braking system
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti lock braking system
* Tell me how you would check the direction indicators are working
Operate switch and walk around vehicle.(As it is a Tell me question, there is no need to physically check the lights.
* Tell me how you would check the brake lights are working on this car
Ignition on , apply brake pedal, and check for reflection of lights in windows, garage door, other car, etc, or ask someone to check for you
* Tell me how you would check the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey
Apply pressure on steering wheel and turn engine on. This should result in a light noticeable movement of the steering wheel, (steering getting lighter)
* Tell me how you would switch on the rear fog light(S) and explain when you would use it/them. You don't need to exit the vehicle.
Operate control, when the visibility is less than 100 metres. Light should come on on the dashboard
* Tell me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on.
Operate controls, light should be visible on dashboard
* Open the bonnet and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil
Locate and pull dipstick, clean, pull again, oil level on dipstick should be between minimum and maximum. It would be useful to know where to top it up
* Open the bonnet and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant.
Locate coolant , level should be between minimum and maximum
* Open the bonnet and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Locate brake fluid container, level should be between minimum and maximum
Click Here to Add a Title
Click Here to Add a Title
When looking for driving schools in Renfrewshire...
Make the right decision when choosing your driving instructor:
Choose F.S.M.........."for safe motoring"
Phone 07853 308697 Today for driving lessons in Renfrewshire!
Not sure !..........Check our testimonials.........